Happy centenary to the swing bridge!

BridgeAfter 2 years of construction, Sutton Weaver swing bridge opened to road traffic on the morning of Sunday 6 June 1926 when the bridge it replaced, dating from 1872, was removed and the approach roads re-aligned. All the work was carried out under the supervision of John Arthur Saner, Engineer and General Manager of the Weaver Navigation. Saner, who served from 1887 to 1934 had designed the new bridge. Joseph Park of Northwich supplied the steelwork and Metropolitan Vickers of Trafford Park supplied the electric motors. After recent repairs, it is hoped the bridge will serve for another 100 years!


Article from Frodsham News Issue 7 Summer 2026